A Danish Exchange Student won a case against an agency when he was sent home from Utah after having watched porn on his computer.
The Agency (Speak Education) had to pay the exchange student DKK 74,420 because they sent the student to the teen lockdown of the United States instead of the more liberal and progressive Colorado.
Remember this student had agreed to volunteer so much of his culture already:
- Young Danes can drink alcohol legally as long as the alcohol percentage is below the safe limit of 16.5
- Instead of spending time in a foreign school where he cannot earn credits which he can use in the more superior Danish education system, he made the choice to spent time abroad knowing that the Danish department of Education would not recognize credits earned in the United States
- He had made the choice to live isolated in return to study foreign culture. There are no friday bars at foreign high schools where the students can socialize over a beer or a glass of wine which makes it almost impossible to get friends and a network.
- He had chosen not to maintain close relationship with his boy- or girl-friend depending of his choice of gender
- He had chosen to live apart from his family and be with them during holidays and birthdays.
There is almost nothing left to give up. So why bother how he spends his private time on his computer?
Because he came to the one state in the United States where youth is a crime. Utah is known for its wilderness programs which kills teenagers. It is known for its lockdown boarding school where teenagers are punished for everyday activitites normal in the rest of the civilized world.
Utah is no place for a young Dane.
So please be careful as parents if you consider to ship your child abroad as exchange students.