In the time of my grandfather you had a lot of options when you were standing at the central railway station in Horsens. Of course today it does not make sense talking about a central railway station when it is the only railway station.
Back in the days (until the 1960’s) you could chose between:
- The Horsens-Tørring railway (closed 1962)
- The Horsens-Thyregod railway (closed 1962)
- The Horsens-Rask Mølle-Ejstrupholm railway (closed 1962)
- The Horsens-Odder railway (closed 1967)
- The Horsens-Juelsminde railway (closed 1957)
- The Horsens-Bryrup-Silkeborg railway (closed 1968)
- The State railways (still open but hardly functioning due to the IC4 trains from Italy)
So back then the world was open. Of course now it is only possible to travel to Copenhagen and who wants that. It is there all the evil comes from. The politicians with all their upper class thinking and lack of knowledge about how we ordiary Danes live.
A funny thing btw. I can mention about one of railways. The railway towards Bryrup was originally built with a meter track. Around 1930 they decided to convert to standard track and instead of building a new bridge over the Gudenaa they covered the old bridge and made a dam instead.
Some year ago they interviewed people and found out that the bridge was still inside the dam. So they decided to digg it out and renovate it. So now the old railway bridge is there (but with no tracks on the top).
The old days were better days.